ZEMUN - 6 km west from Belgrade
Although practically part of Belgrade today, a little over 100 years ago, it was another country, with a different level of development, different architecture, culture and customs. Even today these differences are obvious, Zemun is a city with a fairly different atmosphere compared to Belgrade. Until the end of the Great War the border between Serbia and Austria-Hungary were rivers Sava and Danube (downstream from the mouth of the Sava). Nowadays, north of this border lies one of the two autonomous provinces of Serbia: Vojvodina
What to see
Gardoš & Millenium Tower
Located on the slopes of the hill of the same name, with its tower and preserved old architecture, Gardoš is the major historical landmark of Zemun. Gardoš Tower or Tower of Janos Hunyadi is a memorial tower officially opened on 20 August 1896 to celebrate a thousand years of Hungarian settlement in the Pannonian plain.
Zemunski Kej / Zemun Quay
The promenade itself begins below the Gardoš hill, at the square of Veliki Trg and after 2, 5 kilometers it continues into the municipality of Novi Beograd. Zemunski Kej is the main Zemun's landing area for numerous boats.
This Orthodox Church in Zemun is thought to be the oldest one existing in Belgrade, once built for fishermen and sailors on the Danube and Sava river. The oldest parts may date back to 1573, but current architecture is from around 1752 and before. Its most valuable part is the great iconostasis of 1762.
Мagistrates Building and Old Core of Zemun
Мagistrates Building is the purest example of classicism in the architecture of the city. Walking through the Old Core you can see a series of XIX and early XX century palaces, two Roman Catholic and two Serbian Orthodox churches and feel the spirit of Central Europe.
Great Square and Green Market
Set in the Great Square in the middle of Zemun, Green Market is a multi-functional place for both trade and public performances. With about 500 mobile stands, Zemun market is among the biggest markets in Belgrade. Good quality fresh fish and seafood can be found during the year because of the proximity to the Danube River and because Zemun was originally a fishing village.
In order to improve trading communication between Turkey and Austria, a “kontumac” was opened in 1730, a type of quarantine station for goods and people crossing the border. In 1871 the construction of a park in place of the former quarantine was proposed. The two chapels, incidentally, represent the sole remains of the former quarantine in Zemun. Among the numerous monuments of the park is the monument erected in 1933 to Alphonse de Lamartine, the French poet, to mark the hundred year anniversary of his sojourn in the Zemun quarantine.
Zemun Home Museum
NOVI SAD, PETROVARADIN & SREMSKI KARLOVCI - north-west 80 km from Belgrade
Novi Sad is the capital of Vojvodina and the second largest city in Serbia. The development of a modern city of Novi Sad is connected with Petrovaradin Fortress, one of the most important preserved fortifications in Europe. It is the symbol of the city and evidence of turbulent history and tradition that strongly leans onto European culture. For the first time, it was officially mentioned in 1694, only two years after the fortress construction had begun. Regardless of this not so long history of the city, the territory has got quite a long and interesting past, concerning various peoples and cultures. Here where the Danube and the Tisa rivers run very close to each other, there have been numerous confrontations: cultures of East and West, Orthodoxy, Catholicism and Islam. Just 10 km from Novi Sad, scattered between the green slopes of Fruška Gora and the blueness of Danube, Sremski Karlovci are guarding the rich treasury of Serbian culture and spirituality in its edifices of priceless historical values, and on the streets of Sremski Karlovci wine and grapes are still celebrated the entangled with Branko Radičević’s poetry.
What to see
Liberty Square - Zmaj Jovina and Dunavska Streets
On the central square of Novi Sad, along these two streets and in their surroundings, there are many attractions that are worth seeing, including City Hall, Roman Catholic Cathedral, Orthodox Bishop’s Palace, Serbian Orthodox Church of St. George (Congregational church), Museum of Vojvodina, Novi Sad Synagogue, Banovina building.... and more
Matica Srpska Gallery
Permanent exhibition of the Gallery of Matica Srpska, divided in three units, consists mainly of pieces of Serbian painting and graphic from the 16th to the 21st century. Among 7,000 works of art we can single out paintings, graphics and drawings that were created in the period from the 18th to 20th century.
Pavle Beljanski Memorial Collection
The core of the collection of the Memorial Collection is the collection of Pavle Beljanski that consists of most significant works of the Serbian art from the first half of the 20th century.
The Petrovaradin Fortress, exceptional work of the 18th-century fortification engineering, is one of the largest, most complex and best preserved artillery bastions in this part of Europe.
The Clock Tower is at the upper town of the Petrovaradin fortress. On this site there used to be an older one which was demolished in the 18th century. The radius of the clock is more than two meters long, the four clock faces are directed toward all four cardinal directions, numbers are in roman numerals and the main characteristics of this clock is that the longer hand tells the hours and shorter tells the minutes.
City Museum of Novi Sad
The main building is at the Petrovaradin fortress and it offers two permanent exhibitions ’’The fortress in the past’’ and ‘’Novi Sad from 18th to 20th century’’
Underground military galleries
Monuments of Sremski Karlovci
Patriarchy residence, Orthodox Cathedral, Fountain 'Four Lions', Karlovci Theological School, Chapel of Peace, Town Hall, Seminary, Treasury – Museum of Serbian Orthodox Church in Patriarchy Residence and more
SREMSKA MITROVICA - 70 km west from Belgrade
The seat of the province of Srem, a city of rich and turbulent history. At first it was a wooden Illyrian-Celtic settlement, afterwards it was an antique city and metropolis, a medieval town with a variety of masters, an Oriental intrenched settlement with minarets, the headquarters of the Border Regiment, a crafts and commerce centre throughout the period of urban prosperity. In the period of Tetrarchy it was confirmed that Sirmium (today's Sremska Mitrovica) had an outstanding position within the Roman Empire and it became one of the four capitals of the Empire, a city with a royal palace, a hippodrome, a mint, an amphithetre, a theatre, a variety of workshops, public baths, temples, as well as numerous public palaces and luxurious mansions. 9 of the 18 Roman emperors born on the territory of today's Serbia were born in Sirmium and the surrounding area.
What to see
The Sirmium Imperial Palace complex contains the remains of a Roman imperial palace which was home to several Roman Emperors, including Constantine I. Built at the end of the third or beginning of the fourth century AD, the complex has now been opened to the public as a museum.
The Museum of Srem
The museum consists of several departments: archeology, history, history of art and ethnology, as well as collections of artifacts of nature and numismatics. It is interesting that the museum consists of two buildings that date back to the 18th century - the Brigadir quartier and the Bajić family palace.
Three triangular Squares
The city center consists of three squares in the form of triangles that continue to one another: Ćire Milekića Square, St. Stephan Square, and Grain Square. On the squares and in the immediate vicinity there are many things worth visiting: Remains of Roman macellum, Basilica of Saint Demetrius, Lazar Vozarević Gallery, four churches, city park with stone flower fountain....
The Special Nature Reserve of Zasavica
One of the last authentically preserved wetlands in Serbia and the only location in Serbia where you can find old breeds of domestic animals. Donkey cheese from Zasavica is among the five most expensive dishes in the world. The largest donkey farm in the eastern Europe is located in Zasavica, which is yet another thing that makes this place so special.
Salaš Isailovi - Farm Isailovi
An old Srem farm located in the immediate vicinity of the city. The Jovanovic family is the fifth generation that keeps the spirit of an authentic Srem countryside.
SMEDEREVO & Smederevo Fortress - east 50 km from Belgrade
Smederevo was built on a vital strategic point. It used to keep guard of Roman Empire’s borders, and later on the main roads of Constantinople passed next to it. However, this city gained on significance in the beginning of 15th century when Serbian despot Đurađ Branković had made it the last capitol of medieval Serbia. Despot Đurađ built a fortress with a view on the confluence of river Jazava to Danube on the outskirts of the city. The fortress, modeled after the Constantinople and its palisades, has been a symbol of Smederevo for centuries.
On a spacious plateau in the city center you can also find a museum with paleontological, archaeological, numismatic, historical, and ethnological collections, as well as the Modern Arts Gallery. The most famous vintners in this part were the Obrenovićs, the Serbian royal dynasty. Around their country house, the villa “Zlatni breg”, also known as the “Kings vineyard”, you can find prince Milos’s vineyards. Today in this villa an exhibition of the Museum of History and the Museum of applied art, albeit not many of Obrenovićs’ palace objects are preserved.
TOPOLA - 70 km south from Belgrade
Topola is a small town rich in history and tells a tale about royal family Karađorđević. Karađorđe Petrović, the leader of the First Serbian Uprising and founder of Karađorđević dynasty was born here, beneath Oplenac.
ARANĐELOVAC - 75 km south-west from Belgrade
Aranđelovac and Bukovička Banja (Spa) are located under Bukulja mountain, in the heart of Serbia and Šumadija region. Bukovička Spa is well known for its mineral water benefits and its 22ha park is among the largest and most beautiful parks in this part of Europe. Risovača cave, on the outskirts of Aranđelovac, was found in 1953 and has preserved items evidencing life of the early man - neanderthal (40 thousand years ago) with cave lions, bears and lynxes.
KRAGUJEVAC - 140 km south from Belgrade
Kragujevac lies in the centre of Šumadija and the Morava (Pomoravlje) region. It is Serbia’s fourth biggest city. A sure sign that you have arrived in the former capital of Serbia is a newly built cross, which carries an icon of Saint George slaying the dragon. With the fall of Serbia’s medieval state under Ottoman rule, this “market town” was affirmed as an extremely important settlement. The name Kragujevdža or Karagovindža was first noted in 1476 in Turkish records that are kept in the government archives in Istanbul today. It is believed that the name of the settlement originates from the kraguj bird, which resembles an eagle. These birds of prey have sharpened senses and can be trained for hunting. The year 1818 marked a milestone in the development of the city, when Duke Miloš Obrenović, speaking at the People’s Officers Assembly in Vraćevšnica Monastery, declared Kragujevac the capital of Serbia. The settlement began changing rapidly, with the city becoming urbanised, spreading territorially and growing to become Serbia’s political, cultural, academic, health, military and economic center.
Many old buildings of various styles, churches and cultural institutions, preserve one of the oldest traditions of this Serbian town. Vršac, “Town under a Tower”, with 40,000 inhabitants, is one of Banat’s most beautiful towns. It is located in northeast Serbia or southeast Vojvodina at the edge of the Pannonian Plain, in the foothills and slopes of the mountain of Vršac. Part of the municipality of Vršac occupies an area of the Deliblato Sands nature reserve, also known as the European Sahara.
Like in a fairy tale in which time has stopped for a moment, Sombor has managed to preserve the charm of the past, and combine it marvelously with the spirit of the people, age and different times that have come and gone through the corners and the streets of the town, which used to be a place of frontiersmen and the military. It was those establishments and the people that made Sombor also commonly known as “Zelengrad” (Greentown). A peaceful town, resembling a “miniature Florence”, with fascinating architecture, tree avenues that are 120 kilometers long and rustic fiacres, which give this city a romantic touch.
A major cultural center in Vojvodina and one of the most beautiful cities in Serbia, Subotica was even the capital of a fairy-tale-like empire in the 16th century. Subotica isn’t only a beautiful city with one of the most beautiful lakes in Serbia – Palić, but host of the European Film Festival, the Inter Ethno Festival or Wine Harvest Days…
Historical occurrences made Kruševac one of the most important Serbian cities. Made out of river stone, it was built by Prince Lazar as his capitol city, whose remains together with church Lazarica in its center are forever imbedded as symbols of Kruševac. Besides, a vast number of ancient monasteries and two medieval fortresses surrounding Kruševac make it quite interesting for tourists.
Birthplace of the Roman emperor Constantine the Great, the city of Niš still embodies the combination of exotic the East and the elegant West. During the day you can visit its numerous museums and sites of great historical importance, like the Mediana archaeological site (remains of a luxurious Roman settlement), the Niš fortress (best preserved Ottoman fort in this part of the Balkans) or “Ćele kula” (“The Skull tower“, a unique structure built by the order of the Ottoman Hursid pasha using the skulls of Serbian soldiers killed in the Battle of Čegar during the First Serbian uprising), and then, at night, listen to some music at Nišville jazz festival or watch a movie at “Filmski sureti” (Cinematic meetings) film festival.
... and MORE