In Belgrade, there are sacred objects of all major religions: Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic, Muslim, Jewish ....

 Saborna crkva (the Orthodox Cathedral)

Between the roofs of the old part of the city, as a centuries old guardian and a sign that you are approaching the city that lies on a confluence of the Danube and Sava rivers, stands the belfry of The Church of St. Micheal the Archangel. It is a symbol of great sufferings, victories, faith, love and of the time when Belgrade, after several centuries of occupation, became a free city again. On the other side of the street is the seat of the Serbian Patriarchate.

The Blessed Virgin Mary 

Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Belgrade

The previous church of the Archdiocese was built in 1925 and blessed in the same year by the then apostolic delegate in Bulgaria Angelo Roncalli, the future Pope John XXIII, during his visit to Belgrade on 25 September. While the Congregation of the Assumptionists of France were present the church has always been called "the French church." In 1938 the construction of a new church, designed as a "memorial church" to French soldiers and Serbs who fought on the front of Thessaloniki began. Since World War II and its aftermath, the building remained out of ecclesiastical use for more than 40 years and, meanwhile, the church was initially used as headquarters of the Belgrade Radio and then as a center of drug rehabilitation. Construction resumed only in 1987 and was carried out quickly.

Saint Sava Temple / Hram Svetog Save

The Church of Saint Sava is the not only the largest Serbian Orthodox church, it is the largest Orthodox place of worship in the Balkans and one of the largest Orthodox churches in the world. To suppress the Serbs and their thirst for freedom, the Turkish Vizier Sinan Pasha ordered that the sarcophagus and relics of Saint Sava be brought by military convoy from the Mileševa monastery to Belgrade. When they reached Belgrade, the relics were publicly incinerated by the Ottomans on a pyre on the Vračar plateau on May 10, 1594. The temple was built right at that place.

Sukat Shalom, Belgrade Synagogue

Sukat Shalom is only fully active Jewish place of worship in Belgrade. The construction plan was approved in 1923. Construction began on 15 May 1924 and lasted until 27 November 1929. The synagogue building, designed by the architect Franjo Urban assisted by Milan Šlang, was completed in 1926. In 1929 the interior was remodelled after the design of the architect Milutin Jovanović. It functioned as the place of worship for the Serbian-Jewish Congregation of the Ashkenazi rite until 1941. In 1941–44, during the Nazi occupation of Belgrade, it was desecrated and turned into a brothel. After the war it was restored to its original function as a place of worship for both congregations of Belgrade’s Jews.

Bajrakli Mosque

Named in Turkish as Bayraklı, bayrak is Turkish for "flag" and Bayraklı means "with flag") is a mosque in Belgrade. It is located in Gospodar Jevremova Street in the neighbourhood of Dorćol. It was built around 1575, and is the only mosque in the city out of the 273 that had existed during the time of the Ottoman Empire's rule of Serbia. During the occupation of Serbia by the Austrians (between 1717 and 1739), it was converted into a Roman Catholic church; but after the Ottomans retook Belgrade, it was returned to its original function.

St. Mark's Church

St. Marco's Church was built in 1931-1940, on the location of the old 1835 church, according to the design of architects Petar and Branko Krstić, in Serbian-Byzantium style. Construction wise, this church reminds of the architecture of the Gračanica monastery. In its south part of the naos, a sarcophagus is located, with the bones of Serbian emperor Dušan, transferred from his Holy archangels monastery near Prizren. In the church, one of the richest collections of Serbian icons from the XVIII - XIX century period, is being kept..

Church of the Ascension  map  www

Valuable icons and frescoes are treasured in this church, as well as the first bell that sounded in Serbia after centuries of Ottoman rule. The Ascension Church was built in 1863 in the style of Romanticism with stylistic characteristics of Serbian medieval sacral architecture, and it is inspired by old Serbian monasteries, mostly by the Ravanica monastery. The initiative to build this church was passed by Prince Mihailo Obrenović and Metropolitan Mihailo and it was intended to be a “garrison church”.

Church of the Holy Trinity

Russian Church

Holy Trinity Church was built in 1917 by donations of numerous Russian refuges who came from Russia after the October Revolution, as well as with the donations of Serbian government and Serbian royal family. One of its biggest patrons, White Army general Pyotr Nikolayevich Wrangel, was buried by his own wish in this church in 1928. Until today, only Russian priests served in this church. It has valuable collection of iconostasis, icons, and church relics, as well as big library. During NATO bombing church was heavily damaged, but it was repaired in 2000 and today it serves as a place of worship. 

Rose Church / Crkva Ružica

Ružica Church is a Serbian Orthodox church located in the Belgrade Fortress. A church of the same name existed on the site in the time of Stefan Lazarević. It was demolished in 1521 by the invading Ottoman Turks. The church was used as a gunpowder magazine in the 18th century, and was converted into a military church between 1867 and 1869. Heavily damaged during the First World War, the church was renovated in 1925 by Russian architect Nikolay Krasnov. The iconostasis was carved by Kosta Todorović, and the icons painted by Rafailo Momčilović. The walls were covered in paintings by Andrej Bicenko, a Russian artist.

Co-cathedral of Christ the King  map  www

The Co-Cathedral of Christ the King is the oldest catholic place of worship of Belgrade. Its construction was undertaken only in 1924. In fact, since 1914 the negotiations were taking place between the Holy See and the Serbian government for the construction of a church. The new temple, dedicated to St. Ladislaus, was solemnly consecrated by the Apostolic Nuncio Pellegrinetti December 7, 1924 and elevated to the rank of cathedral of the newly Archdiocese of Belgrade,

Rakovica Monastery

Mentioned in the 16th century, the Rakovica Monastery is the oldest holy object in Belgrade, where the regular service is still being held. According to the folk tradition, the monastery named Rakovica was built in the early 14th century, during the reigns of either king Dragutin or king Milutin, who allegedly were also the ktetors. However, there are no historical records which can confirm that. The earliest written mention of the monastery was found in the travel accounts of Feliks Petančić from 1502, under the title of "Ranauicence monasterium". Later on it is also mentioned in the Ottoman sources, in the census register from 1560, among other churches and monasteries around Belgrade.

Church of St. Nikolaj (Nikolajevska)  map  www

Its construction had begun in 1745, on top of the remains of an old Serbian church from the 16th century. The church is located in the historical heart of Zemun, right beneath the Gardoš fort. Already in 1731, after the Turks had been run out of Zemun previously in 1717, a small chapel dedicated to St. Father Nicolai was built here. In the following year the Serbian ortodhox Zemun municipality was founded and the efforts of the priesthood and the people living there led to the construction being approved of the today’s church, as well as an area for educating Serbian ortodhox youth in the church port. The building itself was constructed in the baroque style, with a two story bell tower and is characterized by all the typical traits of baroque temples built in Srem over the course of the 18th century.


Religious architecture in Belgrade